In order to travel in Chile and its different zones is important to know the times and connections for going from one zone to another. Chile is a very long country and distances can be long. On occasions, in order to travel from one destination to another, is necessary to connect in Santiago and on other occasions stay one night for connecting the next day to another destination.
The Top 6 main touristic destinations in Chile are San Pedro de Atacama, Easter Island, the central zone (Santiago, Valparaíso and Wine Valleys), the Lakes and Volcanoes district, Aysén (Carretera Austral – North Patagonia) and South Patagonia (Punta Arenas, Puerto Natales and Torres del Paine) and travelling between these zones require having some tips in consideration:
- Santiago has the major airport in Chile connecting with all domestic airports.
- Other direct flights inside Chile are Puerto Montt – Punta Arenas and Puerto Montt – Balmaceda. There are other direct flights between cities different from Santiago, but they change depending on the demand and airline.
- The 3 airlines which operate domestic flights in Chile are Latam Airlines, SKY Airline and Jetsmart
- Santiago International Airport counts several hotels in case you need to overnight close to it. The Holiday Inn is just in front of the terminal and it is the only one you don’t need transportation.
- When connecting in Santiago for more than one night, it could be a good idea to calculate early arrival flights (to Santiago) in order to have time for an activity such as city tours in Santiago or Valparaiso or visiting a winery.
- When travelling to Easter Island is necessary in almost all cases to overnight in Santiago for going and returning. This is because flights leave from Santiago in the morning and return to Santiago from 18:00 to 21:30.
- Connecting the same day from San Pedro de Atacama to South Patagonia (Punta Arenas, Puerto Natales, Torres del Paine) or vice versa, will depend on the point of Patagonia you are or you want to go. To or from Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales is possible if flight times allow it. To or from Torres del Paine National Park is more complicated. Anyway, we don’t recommend doing this on the same day because it is a very tiring trip and could be better to stay in Santiago for 1 night.
- Calama Airport (the closest to San Pedro de Atacama) connects with direct flights to Lima some days a week. On the other side, San Pedro de Atacama connects by land directly to Uyuni in Bolivia to Salta in Argentina.
- Puerto Varas connects by land and also combines with lakes navigation to the Argentinian cities of Bariloche, San Martín de los Andes y Villa la Angostura.
- Puerto Natales and Torres del Paine National Park connect by land with the city of El Calafate in Argentina.
- There are several border passes in Chile from the north to south. Just ask us if you need any information.